Netscape tarball: how to use it

I've downloaded netscape's tarball, and unzipped it with gunzip.  Now
how do I access it to run the ns-install script?  I guess I need a basic
lesson in "What's a tarball?  Is it anything like a tarbaby?"  Is it
like a zipped file in dos?

Forgive me for these remedial questions.  I've only been using Linux for
a week, and have learned a ton from replies to my questions and from
reading others' comments.  Thanks everyone, for your help!

Brian Morgan

Brian Morgan wrote:

> I've downloaded netscape into the /tmp directory with the proper
naming
> convention.  When I run dselect to configure it, everything seems to
be
> ok, but it doesn't do anything in Xwindows when I try to run it.
>
> Here's my question.  Where is the install script that is supposed to
> come with netscape?  I downloaded professional version 4.05.  Thanks
for
> your help.
>
> Brian Morgan

        By default, NS will install into /usr/local/netscape/.  In your
XWin menu,
make sure the path is correct when calling NS.  I didn't use the wrapper

when installing NS, I installed NS's tarball, modified the menu entry so

that it called the NS binary directly (/usr/local/netscape/netscape) so
wouldn't have to change my PATH setting.
        In Netscape's tarball, the install script's name is
'ns-install'.

--
Ed