Re: emacs *very slow* to launch

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:46:54 -0700 (PDT) Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
| On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Eric House wrote:
|
| > I'm running 1.3.1 in terminal mode.  I launch emacs by typing 'emacs'
| > at the cmd line, and it takes *at least* five minutes to come up.
| > Once up, it works just fine.  And other apps don't seem to have this
| > problem: they launch as quickly as ever.
|
| 	This is the behavior I've come to expect from emacs.  Eighteen
| Megs And Constantly Swapping.

Of course you use whatever you have resources for. I have a PPro 200
with 64MB of RAM and XEmacs pops up in about 10 seconds.

| 	It's a huge app!

You say that like it's a bad thing? :)

| What sort of hardware do you have?  What version of Emacs?  I
| wouldn't run it on anything sub-pentium, myself.

I suspect this isn't a problem of application size. He'd have to be
using a 386 with 4MB of memory for emacs to take 5 minutes to
load. More likely it's a problem with emacs trying to get your
hostname using "gethostbyname()" or some such.

Nick, make sure that your hostname is defined and make sure there's an
entry in /etc/hosts for that name. If this is a standalone system, or
you only connect to the network via dialup make sure that you have an
entry in /etc/hosts like:

127.0.0.1	localhost <hostname>

where <hostname> is whatever shows up when you do a "hostname" from
the command line. Also, make sure your /etc/resolv.conf has something
like:

hostresorder local bind

Unfortunately I can't recall if that's the correct syntax for Linux or
not, or whether there is something equivalent to this in Linux (the
line above is from an SGI running IRIX so it's probably different for
Linux). Try a "man 5 resolver" and see what it says about using the
local host before trying to query the DNS server.

If it is a resource issue and you're trying to run emacs on a very
resource hungry system it should be obvious. If the disk starts
thrashing, and continues to do so for the entire time your system is
and there's nothing you can do to speed it up.

Good Luck!
Gary