emacs *very slow* to launch

I'm running 1.3.1 in terminal mode.  I launch emacs by typing 'emacs'
at the cmd line, and it takes *at least* five minutes to come up.
Once up, it works just fine.  And other apps don't seem to have this
problem: they launch as quickly as ever.

Once emacs is running, if I go to another virtual console and launch
another copy, it takes just as long to come up.

This is a recent phenomenon.  Until a few weeks ago everything was
fine, ie launch took a few seconds the first time and was nearly
instantaneous for additional copies.  I can't think of anything I've
done to change things, but of course I must have done *something*.

I have no idea how to track down what's going on.  'top' doesn't
suggest that emacs is burning many cycles with whatever it's doing.

There's no .emacs file.  Behavior's the same, though, if I use -q or
--no-site-file to prevent reading in the startup files.  I don't think
this is an emacs config problem.

The same thing seems to happen under X....

Thanks for any help you can give!

--Eric House