Re: Holy Water in my system? Daemons keep dying . . .

On 15 Jun 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> > Or, just put a 2 second sleep between the kill and start in the
> > /etc/init.d/lpd restart section.
>
> Why would this make a difference?  Wouldn't this signify a race
> condition?  Worse, on a heavily-loaded system, wouldn't 2 seconds be
> too little a wait for whatever needs to be done?

Yes, it is a race condition.  My guess is that lpr doesn't die before the
next lpr tries to start up.  The second lpr sees the first and fails to
start, and then the first finally dies.  There are much better solutions
than a 2 second wait, and it will probably fail on a heavily-loaded
system.  However, it's enough to get the bug out of the release critical
list, and to take a deap breath before working on the correct solution.

OK?
Brandon

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)