Re: which reference book on linux?

I have learned all I know from three sources:

1. This list.  Read the posts even if you think they don't apply to
you.  You'll     be amazed what you find.

2. /usr/doc/*  Esp. the HOWTO's directory

3. irc discussions -- you will be amazed at what is talked about in
irc.  Try to     visit #Debian and #linpeople on irc.linpeople.org
semi-frequently.

I find most Linux books are either "intro to unix" or out of date.
Debian is not that much different from other Linux dists. so do not
worry if it says it is for slackware, SuSE or even the evil RedHat.
Linux really is Linux.  And if you read and learn rather than just
memorize facts, you can figure out what is happening.  I work on other
UNIX systems too, and you will find that a great deal of Linux is
standard UNIX in some way as well.