Re: Home Network TCP/IP with PPP ?

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Cormac McGuinness wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me a concise description of how to set up a home-network
> of a linux machine (with modem) and Windows 95 machine, so that the
> Windows 95 machine can access the internet through the PPP connection
> of the linux machine (start it and stop it if necessary).....
>
> I have the two machines networked and have assigned 192.168.2.1 for
> the linux machine and 192.268.2.2 for the windows machine...
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean 192.168.2.2?

> beyond this I am a little at sea as to what to do .... ?
> Can someone help me ? or point me to what document I should be
> reading....

I have basically the same thing (plus an additional Linux box).  Since you
are using 192.168.2.x addresses, you will want to recompile your kernel
with IP-masquerading so the Win95 box can access the internet.

On the Windows 95 box, under Control Panel, Networks, enable Client for
Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP protocol.

Since you already have the two machines networked, I won't describe that.
On the Win95 box, set the gateway address to 192.168.2.1.

You may also want to install the Debian diald package, so when the Windows
95 computer tries to access the internet, the Linux computer will
automatically dial up the connection.

You will find much of the information you need in the IP-Masquerade
mini-HOWTO and the NET-3-HOWTO (both in the doc-linux-text package).

Bob

----