Re: VIM

On: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:37:34 -0400 (AST) timothy  writes:

> Whenever I use vim to edit files, when I am done there is a
> "whateverfilename~" file in the directory. What are these files with
> the tilde for? If they aren't important, how do I make vim not leave
> them lying around all the time? Because its insanely annoying to
> have to delete zillions of filename~ files that appear when I am
> using vim to write large multi-sourcefile programs.

It is a very useful feature called backing up files ;-)

You can convince vim to not create these files by either editing
/etc/vimrc (for all user) or ~/.vimrc (on a per-user basis) and add a
"set nobackup" line or edit the existing "set backup" line.

	Torsten

--
Whenever a system becomes completely defined, some damn fool discovers
something which either abolishes the system or expands it beyond recognition.