Re: XFree86

On 11 Jun, Dennis Dixon wrote:

> First, let's make sure I understand the difference between various versions
> of Debian and XFree86.  The 2 relevant parameters seem to be "bo" vs. "hamm"
> and "xlibc5" vs. "xlibc6".
>     Debian 1.3 uses "bo" and "xlibc5", whereas the "frozen" version

Actually it is libc5 not xlibc5.

>     Debian 2.0 uses "hamm" and "xlibc6".
>      ("Frozen" versions are still available for download but just aren't
> 100% stable?)

Actually it is libc6 not xlibc6.

bo is the code name for Debian 1.3 based on the libc5 libraries
hamm is the code name for Debian 2.0 based on the libc6(glibc2)
libraries.

The code names come from the characters in the animated movie 'Toy
Story'.  The former Debian project leader works for Pixar the company
that did the computer animations for 'Toy Story'.

>     XFree86 3.2 uses "xlibc5" and "hamm", not "bo".
>  Therefore, unless I upgrade to Debian 2.0, I need to use XFree86 version 3.1?
>  I don't know what these terms mean, but at least this is hopefully enough
> information to download the correct version.
>
> I should download from
> "ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/x11/"
>
>  "xbase_3.3-4.deb, xlib6_3.3-4.deb, xfntbase_3.3-4.deb,
> xserver-vga16_3.3-4.deb, fvwm2_2.0.45-BETA-4.deb".
>
> Several questions about this:
>      1) Is this in fact XFree86, or is this a completely different generic
> XWindows Package?

Yes, the xbase, xserver packages in the directory above are the XFree86
package.  They are split up into parts that make package managment
easier for the user and developers.

>     2) Is this the correct version of XFree86? (e.g version 3.1, not 3.2)

Debian 1.3(aka bo) uses 3.3
Debian 2.0(aka hamm) uses 3.3.2

>     3) Is this the correct directory to download from?  I pretty much
> picked it      at random.

For Debian 1.3 yes.

>      4) "xlib6_3.3-4.deb" has nothing to do with the xlibc5/xlibc6 issue and
> is      the correct file to download?

Actually the issue is libc5/libc6 not xlibc5/xlibc6.  And you are
right, xlib6 has nothing to do with the libc5/libc6 issure directly.

>      5) Is "fvwm2_2.0.45-BETA-4.deb" o.k. to use even though it says "BETA"
> in      the file name?

I don't use it personally but fvwm2 has been around for a while so I
would say it is pretty stable.  BETA sometimes means that the
developers aren't done adding all the features they want but the code
is still solid.  I don't know what the case is with fvwm2 though.

> I should then run on my O/S "dpkg -i filename.deb" for each of these files.

You can do this.  I suggest using dselect as it will help you resolve
any dependencies/conflicts better.

> More questions:
>      1) This is just as good as running "dselect" and really doesn't matter?

See above

>      2) In the other direction, unarchiving the files:
>       "preinst.sh, postinst.sh, X332bin.tgz, X332cfg.tgz, X332doc.tgz,
>       X332man.tgz, X332fnts.tgz, X332lib.tgz, X332set.tgz, X332VG16.tgz"
>       (which I downloaded from
> "ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/Linux-ix86")
>        would also accomplish the same, but would involve a number of extra
> steps.(Except this is XFree86 version 3.2, not 3.1)

WAAAAYYYYYY to much work!!!! Use the Debian packages which are set up
to fit into the Debian file system structure and package managment
system.  Always look for Debian packages first before downloading
source files etc.

>      3)"xbase_3.3-4.deb" should be installed first and contains "pre.inst"
> and      "post.inst" (similar to the files from "ftp.xfree86.org").
> "pre.inst"      should be immediately run?

If you use dselect it will install everything for you.  The setup
scripts will be automatically run by dselect/dpkg when the pakage is
being installed.

>      4)"xbase_3.3-4.deb" also includes the SuperProbe program which should
> be      run to determine the correct xserver file I should use.

You can look at your video cards manual to see if it mentions the chip
set used.  If you don't know than the generic xserver_vga16 can be
installed to get x running.

> Thanks for any advice someone can pass on.  I really have no idea how far
> off base I am. Hopefully not too far.

Not to far.  Debian package managment is your friend, use it.

Hope this clears things up.

If I made any mistakes someone please correct me, or clarify things
better at least.

Brian