Re: Money where my mouth is

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 damon@empire.net.au wrote:

> I think I have surmounted the major obstacles (the fact that I can send
> this sort of proves that). I have got X running with my fav. WM, AfterStep
> 1.0 (tho I don't like that Debian menu... how do I get rid of it so I can
> edit the .steprc and get my HotList back?)

You'll have to create a .menu in your home dir.

The menu package has some documentation that explains how it works.  Read
the manpages (don't remember which, use "dpkg -L menu | grep man" to chack
that) and /usr/doc/menu.

Once you know how it works and how to control it, you might find the menu
system very useful.  It automatically updates the menus for any window
manager that supports it when you install or remove debian packages.  You
can override the defaults at system and user level.  It's really a very
nifty think that you shouldn't write off too easily.

> I think I can safely say that anyone who tells you Linux (any flavour) is
> as easy to set up as Win95 is pulling your leg. It's a lot of bloody
> effort, and many hours of reading, to get a functional system capable of
> PPP up and running. However, I believe that getting it up and running
> properly (or something approximating properly) is much more rewarding. You
> can make it exactly how you like it, and nothing (much) is forced down
> your throat.

Yes, and the payback from all the reading is that you actually learn and
understand stuff.  Windows tends to shield you off from that as much as
possible.  You should also read a good book on shell scripting (eg. the
bash book from O'Reilly) and learn how to use the unix commandline, with
pipes and redirects.  It's for more powerful than what COMMAND.COM gives
you.

> Do I miss windoze? Well, not windoze itself, but some of it's applications
> would be nice... I don't think mutt will ever replace Becky! in my heart
> of hearts... I think when I get my hard drive back, I'll load up something
> like MI/X so I can keep using both when convinient.
>
> Did this have any point? Well, prolly not :) I guess I may never have got
> around to setting up my Debain system properly had I not been thrown in
> the deep end, but now I have plenty of time to make it like it should be!

IMHO the point you just made is that you should throw yourself more often
in the deep.

Cheers,

Joost