Re: [Hamm Install] package dependency problems

"Francois" == Francois Gouget?= <us-ascii> writes:

Francois> (a rather bad name imho), not perl. perl-base
Francois> replaces perl which I guess means it provides
Francois> it (once the install worked out ok). Or maybe
Francois> the package perl provides perl because it is
Francois> called perl then.

Packages do indeed "provide" themselves, this doesn't have to be
explictly stated.  And counterintuitively, "replaces" means it gets to
overwrite some files that belongs to perl, not that it actually
replaces perl -- that would be "providing" it.  ;-)

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Yes, I'm Linus, and I am your God.     mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\       -- Linus, keynote address, Expo 98   GO BLUE