[ecogburn@greene.xtn.net: Re: bo or hamm?]

----- Forwarded message from Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> -----

Date: 9 Jun 1998 05:57:38 -0000
X-From_:root@mary.xtn.net  Tue Jun  9 00:57:38 1998
Sender: root@mary.xtn.net
From: Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net>
To: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: bo or hamm?

Gerald V. Livingston lI wrote:

>   I have bo on CD.  I'm about to install a new system.  Destroying
> the system and rebuilding from scratch doesn't bother me as it's my
> home system.
>
> In the lists opinion, should I go ahead and re-install bo now, or
> wait for a hamm CD?
>
> Gerald V. Livingston II

	Nobody knows how long you might have to wait for hamm to be released.  It's
been delayed twice that I know of (they keep pushing back the release
date).  If internet access is 'cheap' for you, i.e. you don't pay by the
hour and you aren't under any significant hour restrictions (xxx hours per
week, e.t.c) then try an ftp install if you have the time.  Otherwise, load
bo and wait for hamm to go official, then you can upgrade without having to
reinstall.  The only downside to this is that nothing about bo is being
upgraded (except when bugs are found).  To find the most recent versions of
packages, you have to go to hamm+slink.
	I started out like you.  I was going to wait for hamm, but when hamm got
delayed twice (two months) I decided to just upgrade via ftp (I have
unrestricted access and I pay by the month, not the hour).  It took the
better part of a Saturday, but its a one shot deal; once done you don't have
to do it again.
	For me it was worth it, but it boils down to how much time you have to
kill.

--
Ed

----- End forwarded message -----

 /                              No question is too silly to ask, /
/   but, of course, some are too silly to answer.  -- perl book /