Weird problem: normal user can't run bash in login

I've attempted to run the 2.0.34 and 2.1.105 kernels (currently running
2.0.33, Debian 2.1 hamm+slink), but have been stumped by a problem.  ROOT
can login normally with no problem, but a "normal" user (I have an 'ed'
account for doing things that don't require root access) gets an error
message during login.  Right after the system checks for mail (it prints "no
mail") it then says "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied".  I'm then
returned to the login screen.
	The file permissions for /bin and /bin/bash are normal (rwxr-xr-x) and keep
in mind that everything works fine with the 2.0.33 kernel.  It also fails
with other shells in other directories, e.g. /usr/bin/es.  Giving the user
root uid is the only way to allow the user to login.  It fails with newly
created users.
	I've looked in linux/Documentation and /etc for some explanation but
haven't found one.  I'm stumped.  What am I missing?

--
Ed