Fresh install. Little troubles.

Hi!

    I'm installing Debian (hamm) in two machines, a 386SX with
    4 MB RAM and 80 HD and a 486 with 22 MB RAM and 323 HD.
    I was very pleased to see the two new (?) preselections,
    a basic system that fits in about 40 MB of disk, and a
    standard system that occupies about 120 MB. Great, that
    was precisely what I needed!

    Sorrowfully, I had problems with both installations. In
    the basic system, libc5 conflicted with libc6 and I was
    left with a system without manpages, among other things.
    In the standard system I got errors in a couple of
    packages (modutils and bibtex, I think -I could check it-).
    The standard system also tried to replace my passwords
    and group files and asked me twice to select a dictionary
    (american/british) ... and keeps asking me that *every*
    time I run dselect.

    Of course the resulting systems are usable and work fine,
    but I'd like to get rid of those little annoyances ...
    How can I:

    a. Install manpages (which depends on things that depend
       on libc5) and libc6 on the basic system? I suppose it's
       not a problem, since the standard system probably does
       something like that. BTW, something in perl also
       depended on libc5, but dselect seemed to work fine (?).

    b. Tell dselect passwords, group and dictionary are
       alive and well and don't need to be reconfigured
       every time? This trouble I had also in a machine I
       debianized a month ago (after freeze, before deep
       freeze).

    Besides, I might do some testing on the installation
    procedures if that helps ... I mean, I can keep installing
    on these two machines from scratch and reporting errors if
    that's of any use. I think an absolutely clean and smooth
    installation might do a very good first impression on every
    new user, and the basic/standard preselections are a big
    step in that direction.

    Other than that, I have only the most positive things to
    say about Debian 2.0, the system and the community (develpers
    and users) behind it. Thanx a lot for your *excelent* work!

    JulianC