modem is not responding

     Several weeks ago I bought a new ZOOM 56k modem.  I have gotten
consistently good speeds with it (in the order of 40,000 bps).

     After I had been using it for a couple of weeks, it began to
intermittently fail to respond to ppp or minicom.  There is no error
message - just no response when any command is sent to the modem.  In
minicom, nothing appears on the screen when I type, and there is no
response to +++.  The minicom commands to initialize and reset are
accepted, but there is no apparent effect.

     It is very erratic - sometimes I can make a dozen or more ppp
connections in a session, other times I can only make one or two
connections before it fails to respond.  The only cure I have found is
to reboot, which is a pain.  I have never had it fail the first try
after a reboot.

     Does this sound like a hardware problem, or is there any possible
software problem?

Bob
--
   _