Re: HELP!!! BASH IS FSCKED!!

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 10:24:33AM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> The last thing I remember doing as root is fiddling with the sysclock
> (hence a previous posting here yesterday afternoon). At about 7pm (BST) I
> logged in from the console, read news and mail and logged out again.
> I then got back home at 01.00 (BST), and logged back in again
>
> I then got those errors.
>
> The latest update is that bash has now started working again fine.
> All that I did in the mean time was dpkg--audit and dpkg -l. I've changed
> the root password. Although my machine now works again, I'm extremely
> concerned by these events. Anyone shed any light on it?

I bet you did something to upgrade bash and it got upgraded without the new
libreadline or something...  That happened to me before.  I suggest you make
an extra passwd entry for root with sash as the login shell..

Here's mine (I use shadow passwords, soooo)

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
sash:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sash