Re: dump again

Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

> Behan Webster <behanw@verisim.com> writes:
> | I'm new to using restore(1), and can't quite figure out how to extract a
> | single file from a dumped filesystem.
> |
> | I first restored the dump image from amanda onto an empty partition (the
> | image is called dragon.hda2.19980523.0), then I tried to restore
> | bcwhite/longtmp/testfuncs.cpp...
> |
> | I just can seem to get it to work.  The following doesn't seem right.
> | Have I missed something entirely?
>
> Personally, if I were restoring a single file I'd use "restore"
> interactively. You get a "restore>" prompt and you can traverse it
> just like a directory, i.e., with "cd", "ls", etc. Then you can mark
> the file(s)/directory you want to restore using "add" and then give
> the "extract" command to restore those files you've marked.
>
> I don't know for a fact that the linux version of restore supports the
> interactive mode but it's worth a shot. Just invoke restore with the
> "-i" argument.

That's actually what I tried first.  I get the same results with -i.

dragon:~/tmp# restore -i -v -f ~/prev/dragon.hda2.19980523.0
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 32
Dump   date: Sat May 23 03:44:19 1998
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /home on dragon:/dev/hda2
Label: none
Extract directories from tape
Initialize symbol table.
restore > add bcwhite/longtmp/testfuncs.cpp
bad name to addentry ./bcwhite/longtmp
abort? [yn] n
warning: ./bcwhite/longtmp: No such file or directory
bad name to addentry ./bcwhite/longtmp/testfuncs.cpp
abort? [yn] n
restore > extract
Extract requested files
You have not read any tapes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume #: 1
You have read volumes: 1
Specify next volume #: 1
You have read volumes: 1