lilo compile problem (can't add entry for dos)

i tried to change lilo.conf to add an entry for msdos thats sitting on
a diferent partition on my hardisk (I'm using lilo ver 20 if i'm not
mistaken the one that comes with the Hamm-frozen instelation)
i added the lines:
other=/dev/hda1
label=Dos
the answear i got was sometimes error near line 11 (the line
containing other...) and other times unknown device.
Lilo is not intalled on the MBR if it changes anything.
Also when i try to change the active partition to the dos one and i
restart to dos i get a message, invalid partition information. I then
have to start from a floppy and run the dos fdisk to choose active
partition.
thanx
kamikaza_mic@yahoo.com
michf@post.tau.ac.il