Re: ATI Rage Pro AGP

> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 10:08:59 -0400
> From: Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
>
> - High-performance AGP-enabled video.  Integrated ATI Rage Pro video
>   controller with up to 4MB 100MHz SGRAM video memory Uses 1X Accelerated
>   Graphics Port (AGP) bus for faster graphics processing.
>
>    I know the ATI Rage was supported under XFree, but is the AGP version?

In order to get the latest ATI boards with 3D RAGE II+DVD chips
working (and I'm pretty sure they use AGP), I downloaded and
installed the following files from ftp.xfree86.org (after
installing the Debian xbase package):

X332Ma64.tgz
X332VG16.tgz
X332bin.tgz
X332doc.tgz
X332f100.tgz
X332fnts.tgz
X332fscl.tgz
X332lib.tgz
X332set.tgz
X332upd.tgz
extract
postinst.sh
preinst.sh

You need additional files if you have not previously installed X.

If you are using pre-2.0 Debian (i.e., libc5) you must not use
the glibc version, so you'll be looking in:

ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.2/binaries/Linux-ix86/

There are READMEs and RELNOTES files to check out for detailed
info.

If you're using Debian 2.0, check the documentation on the Debian
packages first to see if they explicitly include the chip you
want. If not, then use the Linux-ix86-glibc directory in the
above path (instead of the Linux-ix86).

The binaries I downloaded also worked for an ATI Expert-at-Work
board we have, although it appears that the X server only
recognizes 4 of the 8 megs of memory on the board.

	Hope this helps,

	--Steve Izma, Wilfrid Laurier University Press
		Waterloo, Ont., Canada N2L 3C5
		(519) 884-0710 ext. 6125	 FAX: (519) 725-1399
	steve@nestor.wlu.ca  or  sizma@mach1.wlu.ca