Re: DNS.

Johan Berglund wrote:

> I´m about to move a web-server (Debian) from one place to another
> and have to change IP. I now like to install and use DNS on the server.
> I´d like the DNS in the new server to handle my domain. My domain
> is now handled by my ISP but I need the ability to add and remove
> hostnames.
>
> I guess this is the usual way to do it.
> How much does this differ from the standard debian-installation?
> Where do I specify new hosts, MX-entry and so on?

Here's what you do. Install the bind package. This is the dns server. Then read
the document which comes with the package, /usr/doc/bin/dns-setup.gz. It will
describe to you step-by-step what is necessary. Also, be aware that the internic
expects you to have a primary *and* secondary name server. There's some web page
somewhere to find people on the net who'll be a secondary for you (if you'll be a
secondary for them!).

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com