Re: File-system on tape

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 10:15:58PM -0600, Lazar Fleysher wrote:
> Hi,
Hi
> Is it possible to create a file system on a tape drive ( like on
> mainframes) and use it as a disk? I know it is very slow, but is it
> possible?

That is really very sick and twisted to even think of such a thing...
hmm I wonder why I never thought of it :)

Well...of course it is POSSIBLE to mount a filesystem from a tape drive...
it might require writting your own device drivers to do it ;)
(and if you are as knowledgable abou tthe kernel soucrecode and
internals as I am...well...then your really screwed cuz I for one
wouldn't even know where to begin something like that)

AFAIK there is currently no suport for doing this sick and twisted thing
I doubt seriously that support is planned, even in the distant future.

> If not, is it possible to have several files on one tape and how to
> access them?

Yes this can be done...in fact I have seen backup scripots that use it to get
more thna one backup onto 1 tape.

There are really 2 ways to do this...
A) use tar to tar up all o fthe files you want ....then to get them out
just use tar and tell it exactly which file you want it to take out
(this is probably the best way)

B) use mt...with mt you can add an EOF marker to a tape and do all
sorts of stuff (like retension, rewind, advance to next EOF, etc)
check out man mt

-Steve
PS replying to me by mail directly may not work...I am at work on my linux
box and still working on getting e-mail working properly.
My proper main e-mail adress is sjc@delphi.com (it gets forwarded from
there but...I never tell where to so I can change ISPs "transparently")