Re: Ideal hardware for dual p2 linux server

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Asher Haig wrote:

> I'm looking at setting up a dual pentium II linux server with debian.
>
> What hardware would all of you suggest that I buy?
>
> I need scsi -- thinking about Adaptec 3940UW and Seagate Cheetah.
> Will that adaptec work easily?

I've noticed that the motherboards with the new 7895 chip on them are
pretty cheap. ~500$cdn will get you a Dual PII BX with onboard Intel
100mbit ethernet and a pair of onboard UW SCSI channels. The newest stable
kernel (.34) supports it all, and it's all onboard so you don't wast any
slots.

Last I checked the 3940UW is a multichannel controller, rather a bit of
overkill for a single device :> I usually get the 2940UW or some
equiv.

> What's the best stuff to choose that will be easily supported?
> Network, scsi, hd, video, etc.

Get a nice AGP Matrox card and you'll be set :>

Jason