Re: DDS2 - TAPE - BACKUP

On: Mon, 25 May 1998 09:47:13 -0300 Leonardo Ruoso writes:
> How do I might do backups with an IBM SCSI DDS2 TAPE?

Well, using tar, cpio, or one of the many other backup programs.  Use
the device /dev/nst0 (I made a symlink named /dev/tape pointing to
this file) for accessing the tape.

> How do I setup HardWare Compression?

After installing the dds2tar package you can use the mt-dds command.
Its usage is explained in the manual page.  The mt program (from the
cpio package) seems to have the action datacompression too.

The dds2tar package features a program that use an index file created
with tar and the --record-file and -R options to directly access each
file using the fast dds seek operation.

> What's is better than tar to do backups?

I use the afbackup suite (being in non-free) for regular backup.
Every 1.5-2 month I add a backup using tar for archiving (I do know
that tapes are not suitable for archiving data).

> What are the recomendations?

> I'm doing in this way: "tar -zcv /dev/st0 ." Is this correct?

I suggest using the -z option.  DDS2 supports hardware compression and
-z will compress the whole archive at once.  A single error not
covered by the tapes error correction and the following data will be
corrupted.  Without this options (and using hardware compression)
changes are high that tar will resynchronise at the next file.

BTW: nst0 is the non-rewinding version of st0, after doing a backup on
st0 the tape will be automatically rewinded.

	Torsten