Re: X-Windows and PPPD

Corey Popelier wrote:

> Since I installed X , I can't get PPPD to work :-(
>
> Starting X kills my net connection, and trying to dial with/after
> light comes on, but the process freezes there).
>
> Now my mouse runs of ttyS0 , and the modem off ttyS3 , and I can only
> think that there is some sort of conflict between these to devices.
>
> Whats the best way to hunt down/resolve this problem?
>
> *Insert begging here* :-)
>
>  Cheers,
>
>    Corey Popelier
>    Technical Support Officer
>    Q-Net Australia.
>
> --

Corey,

While it appears from your post everything is correct, please confirm
that the modem and mouse are using different IRQs.  ttyS0/ttyS2 and
ttyS1/ttyS3 share IRQs.  Since you only have this problem with X (which
activates the mouse) you probably have IRQ contention somewhere.

Try installing GPM so you can use the mouse in a virtual terminal.  If
the problem reproduces itself there as well, you will have confirmed the
IRQ contention.

Hope that helps,

David A. Bandel
--