Re: /etc/init.d (2)

In article <[🔎] 98052316181800.00867@SkyNet>,
Chris Zander <czander@okay.net> wrote:
>- -> I removed the responsible entry from /etc/inittab.
>     Which one?
>
> this one:      1:2345:respawn:/bin/login root </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1

That's not something that is installed by any Debian system. Someone
must have put that in there by hand. It should look like this:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

>- -> What do you mean with "the root login" ?
>After the system boot finishes, I can login into tty1 (e.g.) as root without
>supplying the password. However, when I need to become root when being logged in
>as a "normal" user (using su), this requires a password.

You probably have shadow and non-shadow stuff mixed up on your system. Try
running "/usr/sbin/shadowconfig off" to see if that helps (turns off all
shadow options), and turn it back on with "/usr/sbin/shadowconfig on".
Even the off -> on transition might solve your problem.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.