Re: /etc/init.d

In article <[🔎] 98052315013500.00250@SkyNet>,
Chris Zander <czander@okay.net> wrote:
>When I used Slackware, all I had to do to make the sounddriver load at boot time
>was to insert a call into one of the startup scripts - now that I am using
>Debian, I don't really know how to do this - I understand that it requires a
>script of a specific format, one that can cope with start/stop parameters, etc.

Depends on what you want to do. If it is just a kernel module you want
to load, add it in /etc/modules and be done with it.

>The sounddriver I am using is a module, loaded with a supplied script - where
>can I find instructions on how to write such a startup script, or is there a
>generic one - also, is there information available on where I had best place it?

Aha, a supplied script. Well, look at /etc/init.d/skeleton for an example
how such a start/stop script should work.

Then install the script and install the /etc/rc?.d links with something like
"update-rc.d <scriptname_here> defaults 18

>I have one more "problem":
>after upgrading bash, etc. to the latest hamm version, root used to log in
>automatically on bootup.

What do you mean exactly with "root used to log in automatically on bootup." ?

>I removed the responsible entry from /etc/inittab.

Which one?

>The problem I encounter now is, that the root login does no longer require a
>password, even though it is set.

What do you mean with "the root login" ?

>- "su" still requires it.
>What causes this behaviour?

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.