RE: Kernel panic error on startup

Solved! The problem was a Kernel panic error on startup, just after resetting the SCSI bus. Many thanks to Peter S. Galbraith, Bob McGowan, and Nathan Norman.

Norman both identified the problem as "the (in)famous AHA-2740/2840 boot failure". He offered to build me a kernel but said he couldn't do it until Tuesday.

Peter directed me to his custom kernel and even compiled a new one for me with SCSI CD-ROM support, which his custom kernel didn't have. This got past the SCSI reset error but found a different error.

Bob sent me a kernel that Norman had previously sent him, this worked and got me into Install routine.
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support. I've run some small UNIX systems before (can you say 3b1?) and can usually avoid deleting critical system files by mistake, but kernel panic errors are over my head.

Best Regards,

Paul Mackinney