Re: newsgroup, instead of mail list?

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980521201930.19985D-100000@calvin.shorelink.com>,
George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> wrote:
>Many people DO read debian-user by newsreader. As a matter of fact, there
>is more traffic in the Usenet version because posts are not gatewayed back
>to the mailing list.

Oh that's great. Not.

>Look for linux.debian.user on a news server near you.

The linux.* hierarchy was declared dead almost 2 years ago, but it
doesn't want to die apparently.

Gating mail to news is NOT a good idea. Why? Because a lot of people do it.
For example, some linux-kernel postings still show up in linux.dev.kernel.
But there is _also_ a muc.lists.kernel which does the same. Because the
typical news system only accepts articles with the same message ID once,
half of the postings show up in muc.lists.kernel and the other half in
linux.dev.kernel. It's probably even worse as there must be more gateways.

Then you have the fact that newspostings do not get propagated back to
the mailing list (actually because most people cannot set that up properly
it's probably just as fortunate ..).

A better idea is to create a new newsgroup comp.os.linux.dist.debian
or so..

The best solution is a unified mail/news reader application ofcourse
that can let you read mailing lists as newsgroups. Only emacs (with GNUs)
can do that now AFAIK and I do not want to learn emacs..

(In case you want to know, I try to filter out all newsgroups-that-are-
gated-mailing-lists on the server I administrate and gate the interesting
mailing lists to _local_ newsgroups and back).

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.