Re: Kernel panic error on startup

On 21 May 1998, Paul Mackinney wrote:

: Booting for the first time from recovery disk, I get the following
: error just after it resets the SCSI bus:
:
: aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered spurious interrupt.
: scsi0: BRKADRINT error(0x1):
:   Illegal Host Access
: Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINT, error 0x1, segaddr 0x0.
:
: The system is an HP NetServer 486 with some kind of integrated SCSI
: bus. Its only hard drive is at scsi0. I've tried this with and without
: partitions defined on the drive (using DOS 6.2 fdisk).

Hmm, this sounds like the (in)famous AHA-2740/2840 boot failure.  For
some reason, the AIC-7880 chipset, when on a VLB or EISA bus, doesn't
like being probed by other SCSI drivers.  The rescue disk has many SCSI
drivers linked in, so this is a common problem.

The solution is to use a rescue disk with only the drivers you need.
This means compiling a kernel, so you either need access to a Linux
system, or a friend with a system :)

I could compile a kernel for you but it wouldn't be before Tuesday (I'm
taking a vacation!)  I did compile a kernel for someone recently with
the same problem ... perhaps they could send it to you.  If you're in a
hurry I'm sure you can get someone to help.

Good luck,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104