Re: [saioa@jet.es: hamm,bo...?]

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Hi:
>
>     I´m a newbie on Linux, and I´ ve seen the terms hamm, bo, stable,
> non-free ... in messages about instalation, but I don´ t know which is
> the difference between them. Can anyone tell me?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Saioa.
Hi,,
bo - This is the current stable version of Debian, numbered 1.3(.1)

Hamm - The next-to-be stable version (Debian 2.0) the current state is
frozen that means that no new features (or packages) are added, the
changes are only bug-fixes. BTW: The fact that it is not called stable
doesn't mean that it is not stable.

Slink - The current unstable (in development) version (Debian 2.1)

The distribution has some parts:
main -- This is the main part of the distribution, everything there is
freely available to everybody.

non-free -- (I'm not sure whether I'm correct) Are packages that can not
be freely distributed, but can be used by individuals.

contrib -- Free packages that needs packages from non-free to operate.

non-us -- Those are packages that the government of the U.S doesn't let
distribute in the U.S. (mostly crypto stuff).

HTH (And that I'm right...)

Liran Zvibel.
 ---
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~liranz/