Re: still can't start ppp, even as root

Check the permissions on the /dev/tty device.  This is a LARGE cause of
the "ppp support" error.  You can also try making your own kernel.  PPP
is installed setuid so unless you changed anything it should be done.
setuid means that the bit is set so that when a program is started it
sets its uid (who runs it) to the user who owns it.  So if it is a root
setuid app it is owned by root and had permission like srwxr-xr-x <--
the 's' indicates setuid.