Urgent mail problem

If anyone can give speedy advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. Days without
mail on my linux box are disasterous for many reasons...

Basically, mail doesn't work anymore. If I try sending mail from the debian
box, I get the folloring error:

What now? send
post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available
send: message not delivered to anyone

People sending mail to the system complain that the mail gets bounced back,
but apparently not immediately, since my email sent there hasn't returned
yet (nor did the account on the box recieve it).

/var/log/ doesn't give any useful information. The following files are
empty, as well as their zipped predecessors:

mail.err
mail.info
mail.log
mail.warn

----

This problem appears to have started when using dselect to update from
ftp.debian.org. I'm running 1.3 on this system.

Any help would be appreciated.