Re: Spam abuse?

> Hi all,
>
> Since a few hours I got this kind of messages on the console:
>
> May 19 17:30:15 pebbles in.smtpd[23842]: connect from 146.west-palm-beach-01.fl.dial-access.att.net
>
> In /var/adm/smail there are many items like
>
> 05/19/1998 17:30:30: [m0yboLS-0005sdC] Delivered VIA:c.mx.aol.com TO:zziceman@aol.com ORIG-TO:<zziceman@aol.com> ROUTER:inet_hosts TRANSPORT:smtp
> 05/19/1998 17:30:30: [m0yboLS-0005sdC] Delivered VIA:c.mx.aol.com TO:zziggenzz@aol.com ORIG-TO:<zziggenzz@aol.com> ROUTER:inet_hosts TRANSPORT:smtp
>
> It looks as though someone is sending spam to a lot of AOL addresses via
> my PC.  Switching off the smtp services with inetd.conf shut it off.
> Should I try and send email about this to postmaster@aol...., or to
> postmaster@146.west-palm-beach-01.fl.dial-access.att.net (this seems to
> be a valid DNS entry, I can run a traceroute to it)?

You should complain to abuse@att.net - this is someone running a 'stealth
mailer' trying to route spam to aol through you. They are connected to
an ATT dialup account, and ATT will pull the plug on their account when
you tell them about it. (Make sure you can tell them the UTC time when
the spammer was operating so they can work out who it was)

	John Lines