xterm disappears after 'xterm -e login <username>'

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. writes:
 > For what it's worth, I've noticed two other, possibly related bugs:
 >
 > 1.) $ su <username>
 >
 >     After entering <username>'s password, it says:
 >
 >     shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
 >     job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories

There's a possible explanation for this: if you change the uid without
changing the current directory, it may happen that you don't have read
permission on the current directory anymore. So getcwd() will fail,
because it tries to read the inode of ./ and ../! In this case you
should do `su - <username>' to immediately change the cwd to
<username>'s home directory.

Ciao,

	Stefan