Re: Toshiba and HP's GNU/Linux compatibility

> On 17 May, Stefan Baums wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'll buy a notebook computer shortly, and one of my prime concerns is
> > that GNU/Linux will not only run on it somehow, but actually use the
> > available hardware features. At the moment, I'm considering the
> > Toshiba Satellite 300 CDT and the HP Omnibook 2000 (+ internal CDROM
> > for its accessory bay). To judge from the "Linux on Laptops" Page
> > (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/), Toshiba in
> > general seems to be quite compatible with Linux, and HP far less so
> > (though, or maybe because, it has the more interesting hardware). But
> > the exact models I'm interested in have not been reviewed there.
> >
> > So, is anyone out there running GNU/Linux on one of these machines and
> > can tell me about his experiences?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Stefan

We have Debian running on a number of Toshiba portables:
Satellite pro 410CDT/420CDT/440CDT Tecra 530CDT/730XCDT

They all work great (although I don't know whether anybody
tried the soundcard (what's the use for it anyway :-) )

Nico

Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (PSDC-B/DNSE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com