Re: lpd daemon runs away and won't come home

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

:
: I've had this problem sporadicly, and it's started again.  After a few days,
: the print que starts piling up without printing.  lpq reports that no daemon
: is present.  I've tried restartign, and stop/starting /etc/init.d/lpd, to no
: avail.  All I've found so far to get it back is to actually reboot.
:
: there must be an easier way . . .

Does ps report an lpd process running?  I've found that at times lpd
quits "working", yet there is still a process present.  '/etc/init.d/lpd
stop' doesn't get rid of it, either, and '/etc/init.d/lpd start' is
similarly useless.  However, if I kill the process, '/etc/init.d/lpd
start' does the trick.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104