Re: downloading packages from WindowsNT

>> . . . I've been told that I can't have the Linux box on when
>> I'm at work so I was wondering if it was possible to set-up the Linux
box
>> to fetch the packages from the Windows Machine automatically while I'm
>> away?

>Are you dialing the Windows machine over a telephone line?

No, as I said, I am using a null-modem cable from the Windows machine about
3 ft from the Linux box.

>You can undoubtedly find a package to automate dialing and downloading
>(I'd look at Kermit, myself) but why not just invest $3 in a CD-ROM

Can Kermit ( or some other Debian Linux package) be set to automatically
download over the null-modem cable? I don't even have access to the MAN
pages on my system!

>If you don't have a CD-ROM drive, invest $29 in a 12 speed at your
>local CompUSA.  Save yourself a world of hair-pulling downloading

I believe the closest CompUSA is on the other side of the Atlantic(never
mind the address, I'm in Ireland) and the machine isn't my property, it is
borrowed from work and I can only take so many liberties before the boss
takes it away( I've already stretched the limits by setting up the Base
system before I asked)

>entire distributions.
>--
>Carl Fink          carlf@dm.net
>Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
><http://dm.net>

Thanks for your suggestions but it's just not do-able in my current
situation. Believe me, when I get my own PC at home, it will be a much
better and cleaner install. Until then, I suffer for working at the ONLY
networking company that insists on using WindowsNT.

Cheers,

     John Gay