libXpm and xgalaga

While trying to get xgalaga set up I ran ./configure as laid out in the
install doc, and got an error message about libXpm not being found.  I
tracked down the dir where it exists and reran the above as

./configure --with-xpm-dir=DIR

(this may not be exactly right ... it was late last night, and I'm in OS/2
right now ... but the parameter was correct to form and the DIR was the
correct dir for the location).

Same error msg. Looked at the configure files (inc. *.in) but was uncertain
whether they should be altered or not, and which.  The xpm lib was installed
from the 1.3.1 update disk from Cheapbytes.

Being a newbie, I am uncertain what to do where.  Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!

Kenward