Re: dselect oddities

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 08:45:45AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Am I the only one who feels that dselect should not update packages
> unless explicitly told to?

	No you are not alone.  As someone suggested, this has shades of M$
taking control of one's machine.  Someone else mentioned that having to tell
it to go ahead and update when there are approx 300 packages, is onerous.
I agree.  And it is just as onerous for those who don't want to update
automatically.  Perhaps the solution would be a command line option:  give
one option and dselect will automatically mark new stuff for an update (the
user would have to specifically mark those things they don't want to have
updated),  give another option, and all updated packages will be marked to
hold leaving the admin to then select those packages which they would like
to have updated.

	Ta,

	Gerald