dselect removed everything

Tonight I was upgrading a buzz machine to bo. I first mounted
the CD and run "dpkg -iGROBE *" which was ok except that of course
it didn't install new packages like base-files/base-passwd to replace
base, or the deps etc. So after that I ran dselect, went through
all the steps, and when I got to remove, it started to remove almost
everything! All the standard packages, all the essential packages etc.
This really hosed the system. Why would it do this? It did it on another
machine once too.

I just reinstalled it with bo, since it was only a test machine anyway.

Hamish