login + nis problems in hamm

Hi all -

   We're setting up a new machine as a gateway for our lab, and decided to
install hamm on it, mainly so we have access to the latest versions of
sendmail, bind, etc., when security fixes come out.  Unfortunately, when I
upgraded the system to hamm, I forgot about the existence of the upgrade
howto, and had a little mess for a few hours, but (I think) I was able
to clean everything up.

   Our system is set up to use amd to automount our home directories over
nfs.  Authentication is done using nis(yp).  One problem I ran into
recently was with login and nis. When I upgraded the system to
login_980403-0.1 and passwd_980403-0.1, I found that I could no longer log
in as a regular user.  Whenever I would try to log in, login would log the
message:

   login[341]: invalid password for `UNKNOWN' on `tty1'

in /var/log/auth.log.

   In order to fix the problem, I downgraded to the stable versions of
login and passwd (961025-2.1).  Now, at least I can log in, but whoami
doesn't work(whoami: cannot find username for UID xxxxx), nor does "cd
~username" (Unknown user: username).  If I downgrade shellutils, whoami
works again, but who stops working (no output), and cd ~username still
doesn't work.  yuck.

   Anyway, can anyone give me any ideas?  If this is a bug, I'll report
it, of course (as soon as I figure out how and to whom), but in the mean
time, what can I do to get my system up and running properly?!

Thanks,
  Kevin

-----
Kevin Squire