Re: If it is already fixed, don't fix it again (was RE: XDM doesn't work [SOLVED])

> I will assume the hostile tone of your reply is due
> to translation to English rather than intent.  If it
> was intent, please step back, take a deep breath and
> relax.  The lists are for *everyone* to get help and
> if you can't suffer the sometimes idiotic questions
> and problems people have (or create) while learning
> I would suggest you look for something else to occupy
> you time.
>
> The above paragraph was prompted by your reply:
>
> > If you have strange video cards - well its your fault you haven't
> > check the list of supported hw - you have to wait for new
> > xserver or try SVGA xserver.

I think that's a little harsh. Yes the original was unnecessary, but I
think a better suggestion would be that if the question asked is beneath
your dignity to answer, then don't: there are people who will help us
newbies (TM) without the scorn.

> Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but I am tired of people
> responding to lists with "it's your fault because you
> bought xyz without checking" instead of trying to help
> get what the person has working the best it can.  Many
> people cannot purchase new hardware, and must make due
> with what is available to them.  If we work to help them
> get what they have working, when they *are* able to upgrade
> they will know enough to check on hardware compatibility.

True enough. Anyone got any clues about my monitor problems (see
yesterday's mail)?

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Steward-elect of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
Selwyn College Computer Support
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/