Color map in X

	I regularly get an error message in my xterm that says that an
application can't allocate the color map if, say, Netscape is already
running.  Also xcolorsel won't run because it says that there are only 233
colors available where there should be 12000 or some other large number.
This is an area that I'm not familiar with at all and am not sure where to
start looking for information.  I probably have a basic configuration
parameter set wrong but don't know where to look.

The video card is an ATI Wincharger with 2 Megs of memory using the Mach64
server.  Resolution is 1024x768.

	Also how do I change resolution?  I believe it can be done on the
fly.