RE: Can anyone help me?

Yo-

> Just for more fun and confusion I have a little more info. First of all I
> should tell you that I am a cadet at the United States Air Force Academy and
> consequently I was issued (I bought it, but it was deducted from my pay and
> given to me like every other one of my classmates) my computer. I tried to
> do as you said with the gpm, however, it said that there was no such device
> as /dev/psaux. Also, on the back of my computer (all my documentation is
> photocopied by the company that mass produced these machines for us and does
> not include everything I'd like) the port that my mouse is plugged into is
> labeled COM1 not that that necessarily means anything.

It appears that you have a *serial* mouse.  Therefore run 'gpmconfig' and
set the device name to /dev/ttyS0 (thats a capital S and a zero).

To configure X run 'xf86config' and choose number 1.  The wheel on your
mouse has no purpose/use in Linux as it was added for use only in MS
Office and IE 4.0.  When asked for your device type in /dev/ttyS0 and then
just follow thw rest of the instructions.

If this doesn't work make sure gpm is running by typing: ps aux | grep gpm

Hope that helps.

-Ian