SCSI time out error

Hi,

I am trying to connect my linux to a Conner SCSI tape. The LUN number on
the tape is correspondent with the Adaptec BIOS, ie number 6. The SCSI host
is detected but not the tape device. I got the following error at boot time:

(scsi0:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices.
scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi 0, channel 0, id0, lun
0, Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

and the system hung.

The system configuration :
- linux 2.0.30
- SCSI card Adaptec 2940 AU with the latest aic7xxx driver (version 5.0.14)
- Acer 486.

I had to recompile the kernel with the latest aic7xxx driver. Have I
excluded any important module? According to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/scsi.txt, the module scsi_mod.o has to be
loaded or compiled before any scsi driver is loaded. Could I have excluded
this module in the kernel? This module is certainly not in my modules
directory, how can I check that this module is compiled into the kernel? I
still have the .config file used for compiling the kernel.

If I have included scsi_mod.o, what was wrong? The tape drive works on a
SGI O2.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you very much.

Suryani.