Re: Linux and ADSL

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Timothy C. Phan wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I post some question on Linux and ISDN last time and got very
>   good responses.  One user suggested that I should try ADSL.
>
>   I'd like to know what support does Linux provide with ADSL,
>   equipment cost, monthly ISP cost, configuration, reliability,
>   etc.  if any has experience with ADSL on Linux box.

We don't yet have ADSL in my area, but it is coming soon.  My ISP charges
an extra $5.00 per month ($25.95 vs. $21.95), while another local ISP
charges $20.  They are using an external Netspeed ADSL modem which
connects to the computer via ethernet, so all that Linux would need to do
is set up the correct ethernet routes.  I'm pretty sure it's a full-time
connection.

The phone company (U.S. West) charges $40 per month (256Kbaud) (in
addition to the POTS charge, but the line can be shared with POTS)  plus
~$200 for the installation.  For a limited time, they are including the
modem and ethernet card for no extra charge, I understand.

I'm not sure if my line will qualify (distance from central office plus
possible A/D and D/A conversions) or if I want to go for the extra
expense, but I'll probably be in a position to decide soon.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen