Re: how do I delete not empty directories

On Sun, May 10, 1998 at 11:10:45AM -0400, Keith wrote:
> I have been trying to delete directories that are not empty. I try doing
> a rm -d * but I get a response that the operation is not allowed. I am
> logged in as root. What am I doing wrong. I am looking something that
> works like deltree in dos.

"rm -R" but watch out especially when using it as root.

As a dos user I was advised to do a "dir dirname/*.*" before I did a "del
dirname/*.*".  Would doing a "ls -R" show the directories and files such
that one could reliably predict what "rm -R" will do?  The command line
could be edited to substitute the "rm" for the "ls".  Perhaps this would
help avoid disasters to some extent -- unless one fouls up the command
line editing.

--
  jkern@klis.com   Jack Kern   Yarmouth, Nova Scotia   Debian GNU/Linux i386