Re: IPX and Soundcard - loadable modules?

hi, Mr. or Ms. Vernon,
here is what I did for Debian 2.0 kernel re-compiling.
FAQ from debian willl surely help.
URL=http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-10.html

#you have to be root or alike.
#change to where you installed the kernel source.
#linux is a symbolic link to your kernel source. Mine is kernel-source-2.0.33
cd /usr/src/linux
#answer 'y' to sound support and '?' to see help
make config
# start to compile kernel. It may take quite a while on a 486.
make-kpkg --revision 2 --zImage
#make-kpkg is supposed to make a .deb file. But, it didn't on mine.
#otherwise you may install the new kernel like just another debian package.
make dep
#for the illusionary

make modules
make modules_install
#you many need to do this if you have choose to run as modules.

cp /boot/System.map-2.0.33 /boot/System.map.old
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.0.33
cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot     #where zImage locates.
cp zImage /boot/vmlinuz.new
cp zImage /dev/fd0	#to make a bootable floppy with the new kernel
vi /etc/lilo.conf
# to reflect change     #keep the old one untouched: a good practice.
#and try it out without doing anythign real
/sbin/lilo -Nv
# run lilo for real, in verbose mode.
/sbin/lilo -v
#reboot with new kernel.
shutdown -r now
#after several days of trial running.
cd /usr/src/linux
make clean

Good luck.

 YU, Zhongbin                       		In Nature I believe:-)
    Chem. Dept., Emory University      |  Surface Chem. Lab, Fudan U.
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~zyu  |     Shanghai, 200433
 zyu@emory.edu    Tel: (404)251-9072   |     knfan@fudan.ac.cn