Re: ftp-server without having installed one?

On 7 May 1998, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:

> It's surpring because I never installed any ftp-server on my system. The
> only servers I installed internally are boa (webserver) and leafnode (news).
> Can anybody explain this message? I would be interested to know how to disable
> this ftp-server -- I only have a dialup ppp-connection to the net five-six
> times a week.

Ftp is probably considered as common as telnet, making it a default
(although I think it may be split off since we have things like wu-ftp).
Simply comment out the appropriate line in /etc/inetd.conf and restart
inetd (killall -HUP inetd).

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds