Re: 'w' doesn't show X session users

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 12:33:21AM -0400, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Subject says it all.  The user shows up on 'last', but not on 'w'.  This
> is a recent problem that started roughly around when the latest xserver*
> debs were placed in hamm..
>
> Any one know what the problem is?

I'm not sure if this is right, but I assume this is what happened:
This goes back to a previous bug in xterm where it would update the wtmp
when you run it, but not remove you from it once you quit the xterm
(something about it giving up root privs too soon), so I assume that too
many people complained, and wtmp updating was dissabled untill this bug is
fixed..