alias not passed to xterm

My aliases do not seem to be passed correctly to xterm I am using OLVWM.
The following alias is in my .alias file "alias xboard='xboard -size small'
This does not work from xterm, but it does work if I execute it through a
BASH box. This is true even though env in the xterm shows that bash is
the shell.  Also the commmand  "type -all xboard" does not return the alias
in xterm, nor on the consol ( not in windows ). It only shows both the
original command and the alias when I am in the BASH shell window.
Since I assumed that .alias was global.  I am confused by this.  Any
insights are appreciated.  Thank you